| ||AWB inaugural soybean production program || ||
AWB today launched its inaugural soybean production program to encourage Australian farmers in Victoria, NSW and QLD to grow soybeans.
AWB’s Australian Specialty Business Manager Josh Gordon said: “For the first time AWB is offering a soybean production program to assist farmers in growing soybeans.”
“Because of increasing demand and the agronomic advantages soybeans provide we encourage farmers to consider this opportunity,” Mr Gordon said.
“Australia is a significant importer of soybean meal and last year over 560,000 tonnes of soybean meal was imported for use in domestic feed rations.
“AWB is providing Australian farmers the opportunity to supply the strong domestic demand for soybean meal and oil through its production program.
“AWB is supporting farmers to grow soybeans by providing a seed cost rebate on contracted hectares as well as assisting them to manage price and production risk.
“We are in the ideal position to offer this unique marketing opportunity for soybeans which will be processed at Cargill crush plants and the Cargill vegetable oil refinery in Australia.
“In addition to the selling opportunities, farmers are discovering the agronomic benefits of planting soybeans.
“Soybean is a useful rotation crop as they improve soil fertility and are effective as a disease break,” Mr Gordon said.
The AWB soybean production program provides the following benefits to farmers:
- A $10ha seed cost rebate on any approved varieties of soybean seed purchased;
- The comfort of a known price with no production risk on the first 0.5mt/ha* a farmer produce;
- Opportunity to price soybeans for up to three months after planting;
- Ease of delivery at harvest with AWB ex-farm pricing and last load service when selling through AWB; &
- On farm storage incentives to get the most out of on farm storage.
Farmers looking to take advantage of this marketing opportunity should talk to their local AWB representative or call AWB’s grower services centre on 1800 4GRAIN (1800 447 246).
Media contact: Peter McBride 03 9268 7362 or 0417 662 451
* 0.5mt/ha in all areas except crops grown in the Liverpool Plains area of NSW where the applicable production is 0.7mt/ha or any irrigated crop where the applicable production is 1.0mt/Ha