AWB Limited’s Chief Executive Mr Andrew Lindberg today announced AWB would invest approximately $18 million in two new storage and handling sites at Mallala and Crystal Brook in South Australia.
Mr Lindberg said the proposed facilities at Mallala and Crystal Brook were part of AWB’s existing storage and handling strategy and would deliver improved services and greater efficiency to growers and provide a commercial return to AWB shareholders.
"Growers can expect savings of approximately $2 to $3 per tonne on the combined up country storage and handling fee and the rail deduction to port," said Mr Lindberg.
"AWB senior management recently held a meeting in Mallala to discuss the proposed site and the feedback was extremely positive," said Mr Lindberg.
AWB will be holding a similar meeting at Crystal Brook today.
AWB lodged a development application with the Port Pirie Council for the Crystal Brook site on Friday 10th May and will lodge the development application with Mallala Council for the Mallala site shortly.
"AWB is firmly committed to reducing supply chain costs for Australian wheat growers," said Mr Lindberg.
During the construction phase of these projects AWB anticipates that up to 30 workers will be employed at each site with a focus on utilising local contractors where possible.
The sites are due for completion by November this year and once operational will employ up to 30 local staff during the harvest season.
The facilities will use the latest technology and will have the capacity to receive 8,000 tonnes of grain receivals per day, providing growers with fast turnaround times during harvest.
The proposed sites will have rapid rail loading capability with two x 1,350 tonnes over rail bins capable of loading a 2,700 tonne train in less than two hours.
AWB Grain Centre - Crystal Brook and Mallala
The proposed AWB Grain Centrea at Crystal Brook and Mallala will be state of the art grain storage and handling facilities delivering a fast and efficient service to grain growers.
Both sites will have the following features:
- 2 x 40,000mt bunkers
- 2x 25,000mt bunkers
- 2 x 1,350mt over rail cells
- Total storage capacity 130,000mt
- Fully integrated conveyor system linking bunkers to rail outload cells.
- 40,000mt bunker storages equipped with 1x 800 tonne per hour elevator.
- 25,000mt bunker storages equipped with 500 tonne per hour drive over hopper.
- Double sided sampling platform.
- Weighbridge capacity 160 tonnes capable of weighing a 36 metre road train in a single weigh.
- Fully integrated receival data capture at sample platform and weighbridge.
- Over rail cells on rail siding.
- On Farm Pickup Service
- Grower receivals of up to 8,000mt per day
- Elevating capacity 1,300mt per hour (effective rate 1000mt per hour)
- Grower truck turnaround time of 30 minutes
- Bunker outloading capability of 4,000mt per day
- Train loading capability of 2,700mt in 2 hours
- Road outloading - over 1,000mt an hour
- Grower receivals seven days per week during harvest
- Operating hours 7.00am to 11.00pm during harvest
For more information contact:
Peter Mc Bride, AWB Limited, on (03) 9209 2174 or 0417 662 451